Yes, I have been soup making – again. You can expect more of this.
Second soup-making session of the season
I had the sudden desire to make soup again yesterday. Tomato and Basil this time. Even though I say so myself, it was pretty good!
Recipe for Tomato and Basil Soup
(Makes enough to serve 8).
The equipment you will need:
- a sharp veg prep knife
- a veg peeler
- a chopping board
- a large soup pan
- a wooden spoon
- a hand blender
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Few shakes of ground white pepper
- 2 veg stock cubes I used https://www.oxo.co.uk/
- 2 1litre cartons of tomato juice
- 1 tin tomatoes
- Large handful fresh basil
Peel and chop the veg
Heat the oil. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until translucent. Add the diced potato. Cover and cook on a low heat until potato is tender about 5 minutes. Add the tomato purée and white wine vinegar. Crumble in the stock cubes, stir well, cover and cook for 2 further minutes. Add the seasoning. Stir well. Add the tinned tomatoes. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the 2 x 1 litre cartons of tomato juice. Stir. Cover and cook for a further 15/20 minutes or until all veg are tender.
Remove from the heat. Add all the basil (I don’t think it is possible to have too much basil, although it is possible to have too little!) Blitz with a hand-blender. Serve hot, or portion and freeze when cold.
To make it even more heart-warming, sprinkle on grated mature cheddar cheese and serve with crusty bread.