How to make perfect Braised Red Cabbage
This is the perfect vegetable accompaniment to many of our favourite, comforting, winter dishes. It goes just as well with a hearty Cottage Pie as it does with Christmas dinner! And it’s the perfect fruity, side-dish for game – particularly venison. It is so easy to make and it freezes well.
It’s definitely a family-pleaser – even for those of us who aren’t that keen on their veggies… well not yet anyway!
- 750 gms red cabbage, shredded (coût out the core, as in the picture above)
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 100 gms sultanas
- 250 ml vegetable stock http://www.oxo.co.uk/
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar https://www.aspall.co.uk/shop/vinegar/classic-white-wine-vinegar
- Course salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
These quantities make enough for a decent-sized portion for eight to ten people.
What you need to do
- Put the cabbage, onion, apples, sultanas, sugar and seasonings in a large pan
- Pour the stock and vinegar over
- Cover and bring to the boil. Turn down to simmer for approximately 45 minutes until the cabbage is tender
- If there is still some liquid left at this point, leave the lid off and boil for a few minutes until reduced and syrupy
- Serve hot or cold
This dish can also be cooked in the oven. Place all ingredients in an ovenproof dish, cover and bake in a preheated oven 180oC for about an hour.
Make it now and put it in the freezer for Christmas!
So that’s another job crossed off the ‘Christmas-to-do’ list. Get it in the freezer!